Dr. Paata Abesadze, MD
Senior scientist at Mardaleishvili Research Scientific Centre, Department of Cellular Technologies and Therapy
- 1982-1988 — Tbilisi Medical State University
- 1991-1998 — Practice at the Department of Pediatric Neurological Pathologies at the University of Tbilisi as a leading specialist
- 1996-1997 — obtained a graduate certificate at the Goethe Institute, Tbilisi
- 1997-1999 — graduate of the Jefferson Institute of Ultrasound Imaging
A doctor is required to constantly improve their knowledge and skills. A doctor’s education never ends, and today he is advancing his skills in practical therapy and scientific activities.
- 1993-2000 — Zhvania Pediatric Hospital, pediatric neurologist, senior resident
- 2006 — obtained a doctorate degree, Department of Science and Education
- 2007 — obtained a state certificate of laboratory medicine
- 2008-2012 — a doctor specializing in the treatment of rare pathologies in Georgia
- 2010-present — Doctor and Senior Researcher at the Department of Cellular Technologies and Therapy, Mardaleishvili Research Scientific Centre
Paata Abesadze is a leading specialist at the centre with vast experience. He is actively involved in the use of innovative methods of treatment and today successfully applies the method of cell therapy for the treatment of such diseases as optic nerve atrophy, nystagmus, amblyopia, and retinal pigment epithelium dystrophy. It is a real success for the patient to be in the hands of a specialist at this level.
The very method of treating ophthalmic diseases with stem cells is quite promising since it achieves an excellent therapeutic effect.
It is noteworthy that stem cells began to be used for the treatment of eye diseases relatively recently but have already made a real impact since they allow for the possibility of restoring vision qualitatively and thoroughly without open surgery or laser intervention. Moreover, it has practically no contraindications and does not cause side effects.
Membership, scientific activity, awards:
- 2002-2005 — Member of the Bioethics Union of the National Department of Labour, Social Protection, and Health
- 2002 — an honorary medal and a diploma from the World Health Organization
- 2008-present — member of the Research Committee at Tbilisi University in the field of biomedical ethics
- 2014-present — member of the Union of Transplantology of Georgia; member of the Organization of Children’s Neurology in Europe
Membership helps to keep him abreast of the latest innovations in medicine, share his experience with colleagues, and make a significant contribution to the development of both scientific and practical medicine.
Participation in international scientific conferences:
- 1997 — World Immunological Congress, Israel
- 2001 — European conference dedicated to stem therapy as a treatment of the future, Belgium
- 2007 — Scientific and Practical International Conference, Türkiye
- 2009 — International Neurological Conference, Türkiye
- 2011 — Representative from the European Federation at the conference on tissue compatibility and immunogenetics, Armenia
- 2011 — Third World Cord Blood Congress, Italy
- 2012 — International Medical Conference, Türkiye
- 2014 — Conference of world specialists and scientists in the field of child neurology, Türkiye
- 2016 — European World Cord Blood Congress, Great Britain
- 2017 — Congress on regenerative medicine and bone marrow stem cell therapy, USA
- 2017 — National Georgian 9th Congress on allergic reactions and immunology
Paata Abesadze is an honorary delegate and speaker at many conferences. Congresses and other formats of specialized meetings of doctors and scientists contribute to the improvement of applied therapeutic methods, the exchange of practical experience, and the overall development of medicine.
- 1996 — Gilles de la Tourette syndrome and its treatment in childhood
- 1999 — Absence epilepsy and its diagnosis in children
- 2003 — Fundamental features of pediatric neurology
- 2005 — The use of Depakine in childhood in the treatment of tics
- 2011 — The role of gamalate B6 in the regulation of sleep disorders in children
- 2012 — West syndrome in childhood
- 2018 — Correction of childhood autism and cerebral palsy with stem cells
Paata Abesadze is a well-known scientist in his field, whose research activities are mainly focused on stem therapy, its popularization as a method, and improving the technology of stem cell sampling and transplantation. His deep knowledge in this area is the key to successful therapy for the patient.